Wednesday, January 22, 2014

BENOIT ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE TO ASTORIA CITY COUNCIL




Paul Benoit, the current city manager of Astoria, Oregon, is slated to be the new city administrator for Piedmont, California. Jeff Weiler, Piedmont City Council member confirmed this morning the City of Piedmont is in contract negotiations with Benoit. 
 At last night’s Astoria City Council meeting, Mayor Willis Van Dusen gave his best wishes as Benoit told the city council about his next move.

Benoit said “I am retiring from employment with the city, and from Oregon.  I’ll be relocating to California, probably doing that late February, early March.  I’m in my ninth year as city manager.  It’s been nothing but a pleasure.  I have twenty six years with the city, going into my ninth as city manger.  I’ve always worked with and for great councils, and a great mayor for the entire twenty six years, but also a great staff and great citizens.  Even today, there’s not a lot on the agenda but in Astoria people have always felt free and strongly to voice their opinions.  There’s always a good discussion, and it’s just  been a lot of fun for me.  I’m looking forward to something new and different, but that’s what’s happening with me.” 
Mayor VanDusen told Benoit:  “We wish you the best”.

Piedmont, California has a population of just over 10,000.  The city is surrounded by the City of Oakland, in Alameda County.  Benoit’s appointment was announced at last night’s Piedmont city council meeting by Piedmont Mayor John Chiang.

Benoit has been Astoria's city manager since December, 2005. He also served as community development director for 17 years.   In between working in Astoria, Benoit worked for the City of Alameda, first as director of development services for one year and then as assistant city manager for three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment